Re: Regression: Boot hang sizing transparent PCI-to-PCI bridgesince after 2.6.25-r7.

From: Gary Hade
Date: Tue Nov 11 2008 - 18:15:47 EST

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 09:58:16AM -0800, Gary Hade wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:14:11AM +0100, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> > On 11/10/2008 10:12 AM, GARCIA DE SORIA LUCENA, JUAN JESUS wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > Time ago I bisected a commit that was making my OKI Anima 3300 laptop
> > > hang during boot.
> >
> > Doesn't pci=norom help in your case? There was a patch which tried to resolve
> > this issue in a different manner, but it was reverted too. This boot parameter
> > was introduced as a replacement IIRC.
>
> As the unfortunate author of both of the reverted patches and author
> of the pci=norom patch I can confirm that Jiri is correct. The issues
> that the patches addressed (with some unintended side effects caused
> by the reverted attempts) were PCI resource allocation failures observed
> during PCI hotplug. We were not seeing or trying to address boot-time
> PCI resource allocation failures or hangs.

Correction. We were not trying to address boot-time hangs but I
believe we may have been trying to address expansion ROM related
PCI resource allocation failures that we were seeing during boot
with certain PCI cards. However, I doubt that this is relevent
to your problem. The transparent bridge sizing removal change is
probably a red herring.

Gary

--
Gary Hade