Re: 2.6.28-rc3-git1: spitz still won't boot

From: Russell King
Date: Sat Nov 08 2008 - 18:22:12 EST

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 02:12:47AM +0300, Dmitry wrote:
> 2008/11/8 Richard Purdie <rpurdie@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > Firstly, I don't think that patch should ever make it into a mainline
> > kernel. I can perhaps give some clues why its required though. I think
> > the bootloader on the zaurus truncates the image when writing the kernel
> > into flash using the standard flashing process. By having that much
> > extra padding on the end of the kernel, nothing important is lost.
>
> I did rewrote your patch in a bit cleaner way (to apply the hack to
> vmlinux.lds.in
> in a cleaner way and only on PXA_SHARPSL), however I'm not submitting it
> till I find what's the real reason for this problem.

Even if the reason is found, I don't think it's something that should
concern the kernel, especially as there is a script which writes the
kernel image into the flash. If it's a case that the boot loader needs
an extra 4K tacked on the end of the kernel image, that should be easy
enough for this 'updater.sh' shell script to do.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: