Re: sata errors with Seagate 1.5TB on AMD 780G/SB700 motherboard

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 07:28:28 EST

Kasper Sandberg wrote:
On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 18:37 -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
Phillip O'Donnell wrote:
<snip>
I am just going based on what I read at the Seagate customer site - it looks like the hang was during the processing of the ATA_CACHE_FLUSH_EXT command.

New drives are routinely buggy to some degree, especially ones that jump up in capacity :-) Seagate has a well earned reputation for quality and I will be surprised if they don't fix this issue soon,

Is there any new information on this? so far the only thing i can find
seems to be people reporting the issue, but no word from seagate..

I don't actually have one of these drives, so I don't have any updates, sorry.

There was a recent patch to correctly calculate sector numbers for these disks, but I am not sure that this was the same issue you saw...

ric

Ric

I suspect that the drive is simply choking on the barrier related cache
flushing that we do - that seemed to be the MacOS error as well. The windows
comment suggested that windows had an hba/driver bug (most likely unrelated
to this).

If you want to avoid the issue until they fix the drive, you could run fast
and dangerous (mount without barriers on) or slow and safe (disable the
write cache).