Re: [patch] restore sched_exec load balance heuristics

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Nov 06 2008 - 15:50:20 EST

Ken Chen wrote:

There are two callers to sched_balance_self(). In the sched_fork
path, sched_balance_self will balance the newly forked task. I think
it is OK to bounce a newly forked task to another CPU since current
CPU will be busy when fork returns in the parent process.

What about vfork()?

And if sched_balance_self() needs to different between fork / exec
load balance, it has to check a flag from function argument, which I
think it is better to just short circuit in sched_exec() directly.

From a cleanliness perspective, it make more sense to me for the decision as to whether or not to balance to be done in the "balance" function, not the "exec" function.

Chris