Re: [patch 5/7] x86_64: Support for cpu ops

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Nov 06 2008 - 10:16:34 EST

* Christoph Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > hm, what happened to the rebase-PDA-to-percpu-area optimization
> > patches you guys were working on? I remember there was some
> > binutils flakiness - weird crashes and things like that. Did you
> > ever manage to stabilize it? It would be sad if only 32-bit could
> > take advantage of the optimized ops.
>
> I thought that was in your tree? I saw a conflict in -next with the
> zero based stuff a couple of weeks ago. Mike is working on that
> AFAICT.

No, what's in tip/core/percpu is not the PDA patches:

f8d90d9: percpu: zero based percpu build error on s390
cfcfdff: Merge branch 'linus' into core/percpu
d379497: Zero based percpu: infrastructure to rebase the per cpu area to zero
b3a0cb4: x86: extend percpu ops to 64 bit

But it's not actually utilized on x86. AFAICS you guys never came back
with working patches for that (tip/x86/percpu is empty currently), and
now i see something related on lkml on a separate track not Cc:-ed to
the x86 folks so i thought i'd ask whether more coordination is
desired here.

So ... what's the merge plan here? I like your fundamental idea, it's
a nice improvement in a couple of areas and i'd like to help out make
it happen. Also, the new per-cpu allocator would be nice for the
sparseirq code.

Ingo