Re: sparc/staging compile error

From: J.R. Mauro
Date: Thu Nov 06 2008 - 09:06:48 EST

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Paul Mackerras <paulus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greg KH writes:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 04:36:26PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> > Hi Greg,
>> >
>> > Today's tree from Linus gets the following error from a sparc
>> > allmodconfig build:
>> >
>> > ERROR: "___f_flush_cache_range" [drivers/staging/poch/poch.ko] undefined!
>>
>> Odd, is flush_cache_range() not allowed on the sparc platform?
>
> I'm curious, what is a driver doing calling flush_cache_range()?
> What does it expect it to do precisely?

It's part of the driver's ioctl. Relevant lines:

static int poch_ioctl(struct inode *inode, struct file *filp,
unsigned int cmd, unsigned long arg)
{
/* ---snip---*/
case POCH_IOC_SYNC_GROUP_FOR_USER:
case POCH_IOC_SYNC_GROUP_FOR_DEVICE:
vms = find_vma(current->mm, arg);
if (!vms)
/* Address not mapped. */
return -EINVAL;
if (vms->vm_file != filp)
/* Address mapped from different device/file. */
return -EINVAL;

flush_cache_range(vms, arg, arg + channel->group_size);