Re: [Patch] Always include <linux/types.h>

From: JÃrn Engel
Date: Wed Nov 05 2008 - 15:04:20 EST

On Wed, 5 November 2008 20:16:28 +0100, JÃrn Engel wrote:

> My hope was actually to speed up compilation. If the average c file
> includes 10 headers, on types.h will get included by most of them,
> possibly multiple times. Each run after the first still has to parse
> the whole file, just to drop everything between #ifndef _LINUX_TYPES_H
> and #endif.
>
> By passing types.h on the command line we can drop it from all headers
> and only have to parse it once. Just the intermediate step of parsing
> types.h 11 times instead of 10 will slow things down. By about .4% on
> my not very beefy notebook.
>
> Before:
> real 4m33.241s
> user 3m58.524s
> sys 0m18.539s
>
> After:
> real 4m29.707s
> user 3m59.674s
> sys 0m18.182s

And after removing all explicit #include <linux/types.h> from headers:
real 4m31.946s
user 3m59.521s
sys 0m18.752s

All this may be lost in the noise. The build machine wasn't completely
idle and the variation in system time is rather random. So it neither
helps nor hurts much. Nor does it solve any real problem.

We might just as well drop it, I guess.

JÃrn

--
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot