Re: [git patches] libata hibernation fixes

From: Mark Lord
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 11:59:18 EST

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 of November 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
This adds code at a late stage (heading towards -rc4), but does
eliminate a particular spin-up overcycling behavior associated with
hibernation.
What does this have to do with hibernation?

If it's a hibernation-only issue, then there is something wrong.

No, it is not. On some machines it is a power-off issue, on the others it is
hibernation and power-off issue.

Also, if it is an issue for normal power-off as well, then I wonder why this isn't an issue on Windows. Does windows not spin down disks at all?

In fact, AFAICS, it is an issue on Windows as well, at least if
other-than-HP-preloaded version of Windows is used.

IOW, I really don't think this is correct.

I _do_ think that correct might be:

- maybe we just do something odd and different, triggering some BIOS behavior that isn't there under Windows.

So we should power down thigns differently so that the BIOS.

- quite possibly: we just should not spin down disks at all, and just flush them and do the "park" command thing. If we're _really_ powering off, the disks will spin down on their own when power goes away. Maybe that's what Windows does?

So I really don't want to pull this, because I want to get more of an explanation for why we need to do this at all. I also don't think this is even appropriate at this stage in -rc.

Is it a regression? If so, that just strengthens the questions above - what did _we_ start doing wrong that this is needed at all? Let's just stop doing that, not add some idiotic black-list for somethign that _we_ do wrong.

This is a regression, but from something like 2.6.25 or even earlier.
I think what happened is we started to power-off disks at one point and these
BIOS-es just don't like that.

[Note that the issue only appears in _some_ HP boxes, other vendors don't
seem to be affected at all.]
..

So, what happens if we just don't ever spin them down from the kernel?
Presumably they still spin-down normally (HP or otherwise) when the BIOS
actually cuts the power at the end of all of this?

Just curious..