Re: [osd-dev] [RFC 0/9] osdfs

From: Avishay Traeger
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 05:29:14 EST

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

>>> As such, "osdfs" seems like too-generic a name. How about boazfs? :)
>>
>> I agree. osdfs is the name given by Avishay and IBM and we just adopted it.
>> I think that obfs (Object-based File System) would better represent
>> what it is (although it's still generic compared to boazfs :-)
>>

> If at all then it's avishayfs, but unless I write this filesystem from
> scratch I don't think I can do anything about the name. The code is
> copyrighted to Avishay Traeger, and that is the name he chose. Also
> he has a sourceforge.net project of that name for a long time.
>
> Avishay would you be willing to change the name? See above, people
> think it is too generic a name. Like if someone would do a scsifs
> or blocksfs.
>
> Personally for me it's just a name, I don't mind either way.

I don't care if we change the name. I suppose we can discuss
alternatives outside of the mailing lists, but I'd rather not do
boazfs or avishayfs :-)

By the way, just to clarify: I wrote this file system at IBM, but they
were nice enough to give me full ownership of the code. I then
proceeded to put the code up on sourceforge. Thanks to Boaz and Benny
for reviving the code and submitting it for inclusion in the kernel.

Avishay