Re: 2.6.28-rc2 hates my e1000e

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Oct 31 2008 - 11:45:36 EST

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Jonathan, what do things look like with the simple "use 'expand_to_fit'"
> patch instead, ie something like this:

And by "something like this", I obviously _really_ meant "something
almost, but not entirely, unlike this".

> - reserve_region_with_split(&iomem_resource, res->start, res->end, res->name);
> + insert_resource_expand_to_fit(&iomem_resource, res->start, res->end, res->name);

The "insert_resource_expand_to_fit()" calling convention is much simpler,
and it should be just

insert_resource_expand_to_fit(&iomem_resource, res);

which has the downside (?) that it will actually _modify_ the resource as
it expands it to fit. Of course, it's not like we don't do that in other
places too (ie the "sanitize" phase), so I don't think it's much of a real
downside.

Anyway, I'm not appending a fixed patch, becuase the fix is so trivial as
to be more easily done by hand.

Linus