Re: next-20081030: voyager compile busted

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Oct 30 2008 - 17:51:34 EST

James Bottomley wrote:

> Yes ... been having IRC conversations about that. We'd need to use
> runtime patching to fix the performance regressions virtualisation has
> been causing us first ... but then we could use it for voyager.

I thought we already were, at least to some degree (the call sites are
way too big and way bigger than they need to be, so we end up with a lot
of NOPs. I proposed a solution to Jeremy at Kernel Summit, but he
basically said "I don't want to maintain that, I don't care about
hardware performance", which is understandable but highly unfortunate.)

-hpa