media/common/tuner selection when using a webcam and i2c

From: Jonathan Cameron
Date: Thu Oct 30 2008 - 15:58:32 EST

Dear All,

I've been trying to track down why when I enable i2c (for some embedded
sensors)
and the options required to get a v4l gspca camera I end up with a lot
of unnecessary tuner modues.

It looks to me like some false assumptions are being made within the Kconfig
files.

VIDEO_MEDIA gets enabled as VIDEO_DEV is and DVB_CORE is not.
(in media/Kconfig)

and i2c is enabled because I'm using it for numerous other things.

Thus, the

config MEDIA_TUNER
tristate
defaults VIDEO_MEDIA && I2C
depends on VIDEO_MEDIA && I2C
select MEDIA_TUNER_XC2028 if !MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMIZE

enables a lot of tuner drivers.

Now once I'd figured out what was happening it is clear these
can be disabled by using menuconfig MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMIZE.

However, to me the fact I needed to do this suggests some false assumptions
in the media Kconfig files, given I never specified anything that would
ever actually have a tuner.

Jonathan Cameron