Re: Rearranging layout of code in the scheduler

From: faggioli
Date: Thu Oct 30 2008 - 13:49:49 EST

Quoting Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Before I dive in, I should probably justify my motivations for writing
this email. I'm working away on implementing an EDF scheduler for real
time tasks in the kernel. This again leads to hacking at the existing
source as I'm not about to toss out the entire scheduler - just replace
(by some Kconfig switch) the RR/FIFO classes. As to why I'm looking at
EDF, I think the answer to that is a bit too long (and not appropriate
for this email anyway) so I'll leave that part out.
Well, I understand that, but it could be interesting... At least to me. :-)

You and a few other folks.
Yes, here we are! :-)

We also have some code, but it still is highly experimental and we are deeply rearranging it.

The most interesting part of EDF is not the
actual scheduler itself (although there are fun issues with that as
well), but extending the Priority Inheritance framework to deal with all
the fun cases that come with EDF.
The main problem is that, especially to deal with SMP systems, we also need to investigate theoretical issues and find out what the best approach could be.

Well, adding a sched_class, no need to replace anything besides that.

I'm not saying anything in possible sched.c and sched_{fair|rt}.c code rearranging, I also only wonder why replacing fixed priority RT scheduling with EDF.

I think they both could be in... Maybe we can discuss on where, I mean on which position, in the linked list of scheduling classes, to put each of them.

Regards,
Dario

Thanks for the Cc. Peter, I also added Fabio and Michael that, you know, are working to this thing. :-)