Re: Deadline scheduling (was: Re: Rearranging layout of code inthe scheduler)

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Thu Oct 30 2008 - 13:48:59 EST

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 18:17 +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> Personally I'd like to see the full priority inversion issue solved by
> something like the proxy execution protocol, however the SMP extension
> thereof seems to be a tad expensive - found a book on graph theory, all
> that remains is finding time to read it :-)
>
> The advantage of proxy execution is that its fully invariant to the
> schedule function and thus even works for proportional fair schedulers
> and any kind of scheduler hierarchy.

Basically the problem that I'm looking at is:

Given a directed acyclic graph G, with entry nodes E (those who don't
have an inbound edge) and exit nodes X (those without an outbound edge)
then given an exit node x of X, split the graph into G1 and G2 so that
G1 contains x and all paths leading to it.