Re: ext3 __log_wait_for_space: no transactions

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Thu Oct 30 2008 - 10:21:20 EST

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:49:34AM +0200, Meelis Roos wrote:
> I get this problem nightly on 2.6.28-rc2-* kernels on a generic
> Celeron 900/Intel 815/PATA/ext3 system.
>
> __log_wait_for_space: no transactions
> Aborting journal on device sda3.
> ext3_abort called.
> EXT3-fs error (device sda3): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
> Remounting filesystem read-only

How big is your journal? What does this report?

dumpe2fs -h /dev/sda3| grep Journal

If it's happening nightly, I assume it's because some cron job is
going off; it would be interesting to see what was going on at that time.

The other thing that would be useful would be to replace the call to
journal_abort() in __log_wait_for_space() in fs/jbd/checkpoint.c with
a BUG(), so we can get a stack backtrace and see what filesystem
operation was calling start_this_handle() (which in turn was calling
__log_wait_for_space) that is triggering this bug.

- Ted