snd-hda-intel prevents machine to power off

From: Luiz Fernando N. Capitulino
Date: Tue Oct 28 2008 - 11:59:10 EST

Hi Takashi,

If I have some process with the sound device opened in my eeepc
(say KDE's kmix) and try to power off the machine, for example with:

# echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger

The machine will not power off.

But it does work if I remove the snd-hda-intel module before issuing
the echo above.

This problem seems to be pretty popular among distros, I could find
it reported for Mandriva, Ubuntu and Fedora.

Its workaround is also documented in a few wikis: people are doing
a 'rmmod snd-hda-intel' in the last halt stage (ie, halt script
in etc).

I have tested with 2.6.27.4 and latest 2.7.28-rc2.

How I can I help you to debug this?

Thanks.

--
Luiz Fernando N. Capitulino