Re: 2.6.28-rc2: runaway loop modprobe char-major-5-1

From: Patrick McHardy
Date: Tue Oct 28 2008 - 09:58:43 EST

Meelis Roos wrote:
Tried 2.6.28-rc2 on my computers and got a boot hang on two of them - Thinkpad X20 and desktop machine with Intel 845 chipset.

request_module: runaway loop modprobe char-major-5-1
request_module: runaway loop modprobe char-major-5-1
request_module: runaway loop modprobe char-major-5-1
request_module: runaway loop modprobe char-major-5-1

and then hangs.

char-major-5-1 seems to mean ttyS0.

I'm seeing the same problem on a Debian unstable system using
initramfs and dm-crypt, but it seems to be caused by userspace
changes, using an old initramfs image with just the new modules
added manually works fine (well, breaks elsewhere).

module-init-tools is version 3.4-1.