Re: [otus-devel] Release of Atheros 802.11n USB Linux driver

From: Joerg Albert
Date: Tue Oct 28 2008 - 09:24:22 EST

On 10/28/2008 12:35 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

This is now fixed on the master branch, also the branch "for-upstream"
does a lot of cleanup I thought you may like before stuffing it into
staging like removing all KERNEL_VERSION checks, all wireless
extensions checks, some compile warnings, removal of compat, dos2unix,
use utf-8, etc. Unfortunately this still requires a specific version
of wpa_supplicant but it seems it works. Not sure what bars you have
for staging at this point.

I was a bit disappointed to find binary-only firmware inside the driver (HalPlus/OTUS_FB50/{hpfwbu,hpfwuinit}.c which is downloaded into the device during startup (initially thought this to be a complete OpenSource driver :-(

Unless the attitude towards binary chunks inside the Linux kernel have changed, I guess these should be moved into userspace using the firmware_class driver to access it.

/Joerg