Re: vm_unmap_aliases and Xen

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Oct 28 2008 - 04:04:50 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:
On Friday 24 October 2008 10:48, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
I've been having a few problems with Xen, I suspect as a result of the
lazy unmapping in vmalloc.c.

One immediate one is that vm_unmap_aliases() will oops if you call it
before vmalloc_init() is called, which can happen in the Xen case. RFC
patch below.

Sure, we could do that. If you add an unlikely, and a __read_mostly,
I'd ack it. Thanks for picking this up.

OK, will respin accordingly.

But the bigger problem I'm seeing is that despite calling
vm_unmap_aliases() at the pertinent places, I'm still seeing errors
resulting from stray aliases. Is it possible that vm_unmap_aliases()
could be missing some, or not completely synchronous?

It's possible, but of course that would not be by design ;)

I've had another look over it, and nothing obvious comes to
mind.

I found the problem and fixed it; I was just doing the operations in the wrong order.

Thanks,