Re: Framebuffer issues in 2.6.26 with uvesafb and vesafb. Linux isabout choice!

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sat Oct 25 2008 - 17:23:49 EST

Robert Moss wrote:
ok, this morning, I turned on my computer, and it gave me the error
message again:

Undefined video mode number: 317

Your VESA BIOS seems to have some serious braindamage (the fact that the modes don't list at all is evidence of that), but finding out what can be done to help it would be useful.

Again, a git bisect between v2.6.24 and v2.6.26 would be best:

git clone \
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
cd linux-2.6.git
git bisect start
git bisect bad v2.6.26
git bisect good v2.6.24
<build and test kernel>
git bisect <good,bad>
<keep going until one commit shows up>

If a commit doesn't build or otherwise exhibit a different problem (meaning "no info available"), use "git bisect skip".

-hpa