MCEs

From: Felix von Leitner
Date: Fri Oct 24 2008 - 08:51:55 EST

I am getting frequent MCEs on my Linux desktop, when I am encoding TV
recordings to H.264 using mencoder. It is a dual core box, I am using
2.6.27 (but have had the problem for a while now).

This is the kind of MCE that freezes the box and causes a panic. The
trace does not end up in syslog. I found a program called mcelog which
I am supposed to call regularly from cron, but how can that help me when
the first MCE I get insta-panics the box?

Now the most common causes for MCEs are apparently heat issues and bad
memory. I can rule out both. Could this be an artifact of some bad
ACPI tables?

How do you debug this kind of problem?

Thanks,

Felix