Re: SLUB defrag pull request?

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 09:42:59 EST

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

I think the _real_ problem is that instead of fancy features like this
defragmenter, SLUB should first concentrate on getting the code solid
enough to replace the other allocators.

Solid? What is not solid? The SLUB design was made in part because of the defrag problems that were not easy to solve with SLAB. The ability to lock down a slab allows stabilizing objects. We discussed solutions to the fragmentation problem for years and did not get anywhere with SLAB.