Re: SLUB defrag pull request?

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 03:10:27 EST

Hi Miklos,

ïOn Thu, 2008-10-23 at 00:10 +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:ï
> Actually, no: looking at the slub code it already makes sure that
> objects are neither poisoned, nor touched in any way _if_ there is a
> constructor for the object. And for good reason too, otherwise a
> reused object would contain rubbish after a second allocation.

There's no inherent reason why we cannot poison slab caches with a
constructor. As a matter of fact SLAB does it which is probably why I
got confused here. The only thing that needs to disable slab poisoning
by design is SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU.

But for SLUB, you're obviously right.

ïOn Thu, 2008-10-23 at 00:10 +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> Come on guys, you should be the experts in this thing!

Yeah, I know. Yet you're stuck with us. That's sad.

Pekka