Re: [stable] [patch 00/17] 2.6.27-stable review

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 01:11:22 EST

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 09:01:26PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:33:34AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> >This is the start of the stable review cycle for the 2.6.27.3 release.
> >There are 17 patches in this series, all will be posted as a response
> >to this one. If anyone has any issues with these being applied, please
> >let us know. If anyone is a maintainer of the proper subsystem, and
> >wants to add a Signed-off-by: line to the patch, please respond with it.
> >
> >These patches are sent out with a number of different people on the
> >Cc: line. If you wish to be a reviewer, please email stable@xxxxxxxxxx
> >to add your name to the list. If you want to be off the reviewer list,
> >also email us.

> >Anything received after that time might be too late.
>
> OK, I realize I'm late. Apologies in advance for that.
>
> I don't see how patches 3, 16, and 17 really fit into the "stable"
> rules. None of them:
>
> "... fix a problem that causes a build error (but not for things
> marked CONFIG_BROKEN), an oops, a hang, data corruption, a real
> security issue, or some "oh, that's not good" issue. In short,
> something critical."
>
> So, are we being a bit more lax on the requirements for the
> -stable kernels and I missed the memo, or?

Huh?

Patch 3:
Driver core: Fix cleanup in device_create_vargs().
solves a memory leak on an error path that has every opportunity to
happen in the driver core. Do you think this is not a real bug?

Patch 16 and 17 add new device ids, something that we started allowing
in -stable trees a number of major releases ago. You missed the memo
for that one :)

Perhaps we need to add it to the file
Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt, anyone care to send a patch?

thanks,

greg k-h