Re: SLUB defrag pull request?

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 17:12:21 EST

Hi Miklos,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Actually, when debugging is enabled, it's customary to poison the
>> object, for example (see free_debug_processing() in mm/slub.c). So we
>> really can't "easily ensure" that in the allocator unless we by-pass
>> all the current debugging code.
>
> Thank you, that does actually answer my question. I would still think
> it's a good sacrifice to no let the dentries be poisoned for the sake
> of a simpler dentry defragmenter.

To be honest, I haven't paid enough attention to the discussion to see
how much simpler it would be. But I don't like the idea of forcibly
disabling debugging for slab caches because of a new core feature in
the allocator. Keep in mind that it's not just dentries we're talking
about here, we're defragmenting inodes as well.

Pekka