Re: Yea old defrag

From: Phillip Susi
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 16:02:20 EST

Theodore Tso wrote:
The problem with the defrag code has always been that I haven't had
time to give it proper love and attention, and it needs a *lot* of
work before I would be willing to stand behind it as a useful and
"safe" tool to use. Basically, I don't want to get the hate mail from
people who lose their data due to bugs or other potential failures
from e2defrag.

Indeed, it rightly should be covered with warnings about it possibly munching your data and should only be used on fully backed up filesystems. As far as I know currently though, it works properly and I'm willing to use what free time I have to fix any bugs that are found, but I need to decide where to house the source in a proper VCS instead of just continuing to add dpatches to the ubuntu source package.

I have a vague memory it doesn't even work if the filesystem blocksize
is greater than 1k, but I'm not 100% certain that is still true.

I have an active 110 gig ext3 root fs ( that is only about 8% used ) that I tested on with no errors ( after removing one disk from the mirror and using that to test with ). It uses 4k blocks, has_journal, resize_inode, dir_index, filetype, sparse_super, large_file. I think it won't support blocks larger than 4k, but I don't think the kernel will either. I also verified the md5sums of all files on the disk after the defrag.

There is also an on-line defragmetter that requires kernel support
that some folks from NEC are working on for ext4 (which can also
support ext3 filesystems). My thinking is that it's more worthwhile
to focus my attentions on helping Akira Fujita and Takashi Sato finish
theiron-line ext4 defragmentation patches than to worry about
e2defrag. Of course, if you'd like to give some love and attention to
e2defrag, that's great. But e2defrag doesn't use the ext2fs
libraries, and it would be a huge amount of work to make sure it
supports things like extended attributes and other newer format
enhancements that have been made to the ext3 filesystem.

I've been reading a lot in the last few hours about the proposed online defragmenter, and while it seems quite interesting, it appears to not be ready yet, whereas e2defrag is readily available. It will be interesting to compare the two approaches.

I have been trying to identify any new features that cause problems and fix any that arise. Aren't extended attributes stored in the extra space of large inodes? If so, I would need to format a new fs using large inodes to test. I don't think e2defrag currently supports large inodes, but it shouldn't be too hard to add support. Other than being aware of the correct size of the inodes, I don't see anything special it would need to do to support extended attributes if they are just extra data in the inode, or can they be stored in data blocks and so it would need to understand the block pointers in the inode?

Are there any other ext3 features that might cause trouble? I know there are plenty in ext4, but I want to make sure everything works well in ext3 first.