Re: 2.6.27.1: install conflict about /lib/firmware

From: Harald Dunkel
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 15:35:45 EST

Michael Tokarev wrote:

>> Wouldn't it be more consistent to put the firmware files in a
>> kernel specific directory, e.g. in /lib/firmware/2.6.27.1 or
>> /lib/modules/2.6.27.1/firmware ?
>
> No, because the firmware is not kernel-dependent, but device-dependent.
> It were deliberate choice.

This is not about some api incompatibility, but about a packaging
conflict. Even if each firmware file is kernel-independent, the
list of files is not. If I build and install *.rpm or *.deb files
for a new kernel version (probably with a changed set of modules),
then there is a high chance that the new package for /lib/\
firmware provides a new list of files, not suitable for another
kernel.

Regards

Harri