Re: sched: deep power-saving states

From: Gregory Haskins
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 10:22:41 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:05:21 -0400
> Gregory Haskins <ghaskins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>>> it's a little dynamic, but just assuming the worst will be a very
>>> good approximation of reality. And we know what we're getting into
>>> in that sense.
>>>

>> Ok, but if we just assume the worst case always, how do I
>> differentiate between, say, IDLE-RUNNING and IDLE-PSn? If I assign
>> them all to IDLE-PSn apriori its no better than the basic single IDLE
>> state we support today. Or am I misunderstanding you?
>>

> eh yes I wasn't very clear; it's pre-coffee time here ;)
>
> we know *for each C state* we go in, what its maximum latency is.
> Now, that is the *maximum*; there are times where it'll be less
> (there are several steps for going into a C-state hardware wise, and if
> an interrupt comes in before they're all completed, getting out of it
> means not having to undo ALL the steps, so it'll be faster)

[Adding Peter Zijlstra to the thread]

Ah, yes of course! That makes sense. So I have to admit I am fairly
ignorant of the ACPI C-state stuff, so I just read up on it. In the
context of what you said, it makes perfect sense to me now.

IIUC, the OS selects which C-state it will enter at idle points based on
some internal criteria (TBD). All we have to do is remap the cpupri
"IDLE" state to something like IDLE-C1, IDLE-C2, ..., IDLE-Cn and have
the cpupri map get updated coincident with the pm_idle() call. Then the
scheduler will naturally favor cores that are in lighter sleep over
cores in deep sleep.

I am not sure if this is exactly what you were getting at during the
conf, since it doesnt really consider deep-sleep latency times
directly. But I think this is a step in the right direction.

-Greg