Re: */ in string confuses checkpatch.pl

From: Andy Whitcroft
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 03:56:23 EST

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 09:57:26AM +0900, penguin-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The below code confuses checkpatch.pl ver 0.21.
>
> Regards.
> ----------
> # cat /tmp/foo.c
> void foo(void)
> {
> bar(\" /proc/\\\\*/\");
> bar(\" /proc/\\\\$/\");
> }
> # /usr/src/vanilla/linux-2.6.27.2/scripts/checkpatch.pl --file /tmp/foo.c
> ERROR: need consistent spacing around \'/\' (ctx:WxV)
> #4: FILE: tmp/foo.c:4:
> + bar(\" /proc/\\\\$/\");
> ^
>
> total: 1 errors, 0 warnings, 5 lines checked
>
> /tmp/foo.c has style problems, please review. If any of these errors
> are false positives report them to the maintainer, see
> CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.

I am unable to reproduce this here with any version from current back to
v0.19, nor with the one I find in v2.6.27.2 (see below). Though looking at
the code as presented in your example I can see how it might be interpreted
incorrectly. That said the compiler doesn't seem to be able to understand
this either (also below). In particular you effectivly open a quote on
the third line and never close it.

Could you send me both the checkpatch script and the foo.c as attachments
so I can be sure I have them without some emailer somewhere mushing
them up.

Thanks for you report.

-apw

$ cat ../checkpatch/Z213.c
void foo(void)
{
bar(\" /proc/\\\\*/\");
bar(\" /proc/\\\\$/\");
}
$ cc -c Z213.c
Z213.c: In function âfooâ:
Z213.c:3: error: stray â\â in program
Z213.c:3:7: warning: missing terminating " character
Z213.c:3: error: missing terminating " character
Z213.c:4: error: stray â\â in program
Z213.c:4:7: warning: missing terminating " character
Z213.c:4: error: missing terminating " character
Z213.c:5: error: expected expression before â}â token
Z213.c:5: error: expected â)â before â}â token
Z213.c:5: error: expected â;â before â}â token

$ git checkout v2.6.27.2
HEAD is now at 6bcd6d7... Linux 2.6.27.2
apw@brain$ ./scripts/checkpatch.pl --file ../checkpatch/Z213.c
total: 0 errors, 0 warnings, 5 lines checked

../checkpatch/Z213.c has no obvious style problems and is ready for submission.
$