Re: Sending patches, against linux-next.git, linux-2.6.git or what?

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 02:18:38 EST

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:33:52 +0100 Phillip Lougher <phillip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm about to send another respin of the Squashfs patches. Do I base
> them against linux-next.git, linux-2.6.git or what? I thought they
> should be against linux-next, but I've already got one complaint. So,
> I'm confused, what tree should new patches be based off?

If they're being released for people to test and play with, I'd make
them aginst mainline or 2.6.27.

If they're being released for review-and-merge then yes, linux-next
would be better, but that's a fairly minor merging matter. A much bigger
task is getting them reviewed and generally getting a bit of
momentum/interest/enthusiasm/etc.