Re: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 15:13:46 EST

Felipe Balbi wrote:
On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 02:06:48PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:54:00PM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
when we move to 2.7, we know it'll be the start
for the 2.8 kernel series.
Um, did you not get the memo 3 years ago saying we are changing our
development model and there will not be a 2.7 development series?

Damm, I thought I had printed it out and placed it on everyone's chairs.
Those pesky cleaners must have picked it up and recycled it, sorry about
that...

Just like the migration from 2.4 to 2.5.
Please don't bring up the dark ages again, many of us went through
things back then that have taken a lot of counseling to be able to get
over.

sorry if i'm developing linux kernel for as long as you are. It's really
not my business how many hours of counseling you had to attend to get
over a version numbering change.

The switch from 2.2/2.3/2.4/2.5 to 2.6.x was not a change of numbering scheme, it was a change of the development model. 2.4 and 2.5 were two parallel mainlines. 2.6.x is a single mainline, and there won't be two mainlines again in any foreseeable future.

Maybe you still need a bit more, judging by your reply.

Or maybe not. You obviously misread his post.
--
Stefan Richter