Re: status of the ext3/jbd error handling enhancement patches

From: Hidehiro Kawai
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 02:25:13 EST

Theodore Tso wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:13:31PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
>>> #jbd-fix-error-handling-for-checkpoint-io.patch: double-check this
>>> jbd-fix-error-handling-for-checkpoint-io.patch
>>> ext3-add-checks-for-errors-from-jbd.patch
>>> jbd-test-bh_write_eio-to-detect-errors-on-metadata-buffers.patch
>>>
>>>They improve filesystem corruption problem and it is needed by
>>>mission critical systems.
>>>
>>>Could you tell me what is your concern (you commented, "double-check
>>>this") ? Are there something that I can help? For example, I can
>>>provide some SystemTap scripts to help tests.
>>
>>I forget my reasons for that - would need to go back and review the
>>discussions when the patch was first merged.
>>
>>One of the above patches (I forget which) breaks the build because it
>>expects the presence of Al Viro's VFS tree, and that hasn't been merged
>>yet. I need to wait and see if that merge will be happening (seems
>>unlikely) and if not, rework the patch against mainline.

I see. Thank you for your work.

> Strange; I don't recall any of the ext4 variants of the error handling
> patches requiring Al's VFS tree. And I thought all of them have been
> merged into Linus's tree at this point.

I checked Al's VFS tree and I found commit
6ac465f99b29f74ca5a62bc32a8772985d9a071b changes codes near where
one of my patch changes (in ext3/ext4_quota_on()), but not the same code.

> Kawai-san, could you double check and see if I processed all of your
> patches and pushed them to Linus? I was pretty sure I had...

I confirmed that all of my ext4/jbd2 patches have been merged into
mainline. Thank you very much!

Regards,
--
Hidehiro Kawai