Re: poll() blocked / packets not received ?

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 01:13:22 EST

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 07:24:14PM +0200, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
> For (1) I can't add the timeout since I have no way to differentiate
> between a lost connection and a request that takes time to execute.

Not only you can, but you *must*. Any service assuming infinite timeout
is deemed to fail. If you know that one request can take as long as one
minute for instance, then use a 2 minutes timeout. The day all requests
will be automatically cleaned up because of a failed firewall between
client and server, you'll be happy not to have to come there and restart
the service to flush them.

There's a huge difference between using a very large timeout and none at
all.

Willy