Re: [RFC patch 15/15] LTTng timestamp x86

From: john stultz
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 17:39:56 EST

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think it's a mistake for us to maintain a single clock for
> gettimeofday() (well, "getnstimeofday" and the whole "clocksource_read()"
> crud to be technically correct). And sure, I bet clocksource_read() can do
> various per-CPU things and try to do that, but it's complex and pretty
> generic code, and as far as I know none of the clocksources have even
> tried. The TSC clocksource read certainly does not (it just does a very
> similar horrible "at least don't go backwards" crud that the LTTng patch
> suggested).
>
> So I think we should make "xtime" be a per-CPU thing, and add support for
> per-CPU clocksources. And screw that insane "mark_tsc_unstable()" thing.
>
> And if we did it well, we migth be able to get good timestamps that way
> too.

Personally I'd been hoping that the experiments in the trace
timestamping code would provide a safe area of experimentation before
we adapt it to the TSC clocksource implementation for
getnstimeofday(). Earlier I know Andi and Jiri were working on such a
per-cpu TSC clocksource, but I don't know where it ended up.

I'm not quite sure I followed your per-cpu xtime thoughts. Could you
explain further your thinking as to why the entire timekeeping
subsystem should be per-cpu instead of just keeping that back in the
arch-specific clocksource implementation? In other words, why keep
things synced at the nanosecond level instead of keeping the per-cpu
TSC synched at the cycle level?

thanks
-john