Re: 2.6.27: 0 MHz CPU and wrong system time on AMD Geode system

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 16:24:15 EST

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 03:17:39PM -0700, Alok Kataria wrote:
> Can you try the attached debug patch, it puts a printk message and
> will let us know what exaclty is failing during the calibration
> process.
> There were some major changes in the 2.6.27 cycle related to tsc calibration.
> Apart from the unification for 32 and 64bit, some checks were added in
> the code to make the calibration process more robust, maybe this
> specific machine is more prone to SMI's than other, as a result the
> checks are a little to harsh for this one.

I recently had to disable the timer generating an SMI on our platform,
because it would cause FIFO overflows on serial ports and other
infrequent problems. SMM/SMI is just a pain in the rear.

I haven't tried 2.6.27 yet, but have not had issues with 2.6.26 so far
(other than it seemingly breaking the SC1200's ide controller with
certain compact flash cards which I am still trying to track down, but
that isn't a Geode LX problem, that's a Geode SC1200 problem).

--
Len Sorensen