Re: poll() blocked / packets not received ?

From: Nicolas Cannasse
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 08:39:27 EST

TCP being reliable can block indefinitely, you can employ TCP keepalive
to change indefinite to quite a long time.

Ok, funny thing is that we just found what is occurring...

We had a process that was on a regular basis doing the following :

conntrack -F

This was done in order to prevent the table to grow too big, because we were reaching the maximum size as told by :

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max
and
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_count

Seems like when there are active connections, this will break netfilter and stop delivering packets to the socket.

At least I will have nice sleep tonight.

Best,
Nicolas