Re: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change

From: Denys Fedoryshchenko
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 02:08:20 EST

Let me post my stupid idea :-) Dont hit me :-)

releasenum.branch.subreleasename(chars)+subreleasenumber(numbers).deepersubreleasename.....

1.vanilla.pre3
1.vanilla.rc1
1.vanilla.0 (stable release)
1.vanilla.fix1 (first stable patch)
2.mm.rc5
2.netdev.git2342424323423423

current versions, let's start from 2.6.27 looks like
2627.vanilla.0

next will be 2628

It is easy to parse, easy to find out what is a "base" release number, for
patches and other trees

for mm's, for example, based on unstable kernels
mm.2.rc5.mm2
easy to understand, that it is mm branch, based on stable release 2, release
candidate 5, mm patchset N2

Since Linus told there is no need in 2.6, probably there is no reason to keep
even this numbers.