Re: [git pull] drm patches for 2.6.27-rc1

From: Steven J Newbury
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 00:48:15 EST

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 19:52 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 00:49 -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
>
> > Writing 3D drivers means running 3D games. Running 3D games
> > unfortunately means running a lot of 32-bit userland as the fun stuff is
> > binary-only. So I stick to a 32-bit system, becuase past experience
> > trying to run both on the same system has been misery.
>
> You can run 32bit user-space on a 64bit kernel just fine.
> Any breakage, if anything, you find will need to get fixed anyway.

I'd like to second this. 32bit on 64bit works fine. I've been
maintaining separate multilib versions of the Gentoo libdrm/Mesa ebuilds
for 32bit/64bit. It is important that the 32bit and 64bit graphics
stacks are synchronised, rather than relying on external compatibility
libraries as Gentoo does currently. Failing to do so does lead to
instability and/or failure.

> Also, one would hope Intel is poking these game writers to migrate to
> 64bit Linux ;-)

Indeed! :)