Re: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Sun Oct 19 2008 - 13:41:11 EST

On Sunday, 19 of October 2008, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> Did we? I only recall 2.5.7[something] and 2.3.5[something] (plus special
> >> 2.3.99 release).

> >> In addition to that, having the kernel version dependent on year doesn't
> >> really seem to make much sense to me. Simply said, I don't see any
> >> relation of kernel source code contents to the current date in whatever
> >> calendar system.
> >>
> >> And 2.x+1.y-rcZ+1 immediately following 2.x.y-rcZ really hurts my eyes :)
> >
> > Hm, why would that happen?
>
> with the date based numbers, that was one of the things that 'could'
> happen as the year changed (2008.5.0-rc4 would be followed by
> 2009.1.0-rc5)

Well, in that case I think it would be reasonable to cuntinue the 2008
numbering so that 2009.1.0-rc5 in your example would still be 2008.5.0-rc5.

That said, I kind of agree that the numbering need not be time-related. One
alternative might be to release 2.9.0 instead of 2.6.29 and then continue in
in such a way that each of the three numbers is always a one-digit decimal.
Then, we'd have 2.9.0, 2.9.1 ... 2.9.9, 3.0.0, 3.0.1 etc.

Thanks,
Rafael