Re: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change

From: david
Date: Sat Oct 18 2008 - 21:52:11 EST

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Thursday 2008-10-16 03:34, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
On 16.10.2008 02:25, Greg KH wrote:

Hence people that write a lot of articles about things that happen in linux
land (like LWN.net or I do) would be forced to write sentences like "[...]the
kernel that will become 2008.3 or 2009.0 will have feature foo that works
like this[...]". That will get really confusing if you read those articles
half a year later -- especially if that kernel became 2008.3 in the end,
because foo in 2009.0 might already look quite different again...

pick a name when the merge window opens

Hell no, we're not a distro.

huh?

we are picking the name for the next kernel far more in advance today (we know that the next kernel will be named 2.6.28, and the one after thta 2.6.29)

I'm just saying, pick the name/number for the kernel based on when the merge window opened.

if it's the first merge window in 2009 the kernel would be 2009.1.0, if it's the 5th merge window it would be 2009.5.0, even if the resulting kernel ended up getting released in 2010

David Lang