Re: [git pull] drm patches for 2.6.27-rc1

From: Eric Anholt
Date: Sat Oct 18 2008 - 03:50:41 EST

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 19:47 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Eric Anholt wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, none of us are on x86-64, so we missed those warnings in testing.
>
> Really? None of you use any modern CPU's, or you're _all_ running 32-bit
> distros even though your cpu's could support 64-bit ones?
>
> I would suggest at least _somebody_ in the intel graphics team try to get
> with the times.. I realize that Otellini was saying "Nobody needs 64-bit
> on the desktop" a few years ago, but he was full of sh*t then, and it's
> certainly not remotely true now.
>
> It's not being disloyal to your CEO, really. I'm pretty sure nobody will
> be fired just for ignoring that whole "640kB^H^H^H^H^H32-bits should be
> enough for everybody" idiocy.

Writing 3D drivers means running 3D games. Running 3D games
unfortunately means running a lot of 32-bit userland as the fun stuff is
binary-only. So I stick to a 32-bit system, becuase past experience
trying to run both on the same system has been misery.

--
Eric Anholt
eric@xxxxxxxxxx eric.anholt@xxxxxxxxx