Re: [RFC] Kernel version numbering scheme change

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sat Oct 18 2008 - 03:19:54 EST

Greg KH wrote:

I think it's both visually cumbersome and has the problem that it is harder to predict future releases. The first problem can be dealt with by simply subtracting 2000 from the year (Altera uses this scheme for their EDA tools, and I didn't realize it for quite a while because it looked so natural), but the second is still a problem.

What is the "problem" of predicting future releases? What relies on the
actual number being "correct" some random time in the future?

We already have the 2.6.28-rc series; and we are already talking about 2.6.29 features.

We *really* don't want 2008.3-rc4 to be followed by 2009.1-rc5. That is the kind of stuff that make script makers want to strangle developers alive with their own intestines.

-hpa