Re: [linux-cifs-client] Re: unlink behavior when file is open byother process

From: jim owens
Date: Fri Oct 17 2008 - 15:53:12 EST

Jeff Layton wrote:

Sure, I'm not disputing whether returning an error on open is right or
wrong. The problem is that it's not expected. We've just unlinked the
filename and returned success -- there is *no* reason that the create
should fail here. An application programmer will (rightfully) consider
this a bug.

I agree that failing the unlink if you can not do it is
"the right thing to do"... but unless you have some magic
to prevent anyone else from creating the file between that
unlink and the create then in fact there is a reason the
application can see the create fail after unlink succeeds :)