Re: [announce] new tree: "fix all build warnings, on all configs"

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Oct 17 2008 - 15:12:43 EST

* Roland Dreier <rdreier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> However I worry about warnings produced by gcc bugs forcing us to
> tinker with correct code. Maybe it just makes sense to wait and see
> if we ever hit a case where a gcc bug forces us to make too many
> stupid changes, and figure out what to do if and when that happens.

i certainly have a found a couple of such cases, see tip/warnings/ugly -
for example see the one below where gcc is not able to see through type
width.

the threshold i'm using is: "does the code get worse". Another question
is the rate of really ugly patches. Had i ended up with a lot of them
i'd be worried - but right now they are in the low single digits, for a
full 9 MLOC kernel - which seems manageable.

the drivers/net/mlx4/mcg.c commit you pointed out is one of the very few
borderline cases: the code gets neither better, nor worse. If you look
at the totality of fixes they are not common at all. (and almost by
definition the 100-200 unfixed warnings that we have piled up in -git
are the _problematic_ cases - clear-cut cases tend to be fixed.)

Ingo