Re: tracepoints for kernel/mutex.c

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Fri Oct 17 2008 - 12:54:20 EST

* Peter Zijlstra (peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 10:48 -0400, Jason Baron wrote:

> > > *sigh* this is why I hate markers and all related things...
> > >
> > > _IFF_ you want to place tracepoints, get them in the same place as the
> > > lock-dep/stat hooks, that way you get all the locks, not only mutexes.
> >
> > makes sense. So we could layer lock-dep/stat on top of tracepoints? That
> > would potentially also make lock-dep/stat more dynamic.
>
> I'm afraid that won't work. Both lockdep and lockstat rely on added data
> to the lock structure. But what you can do is expose the hooks as
> tracepoints when lockdep/lockstat is configured.
>

> > > This is the same reason I absolutely _hate_ Edwin's rwsem tracer.
> > >

> > i'm trying to get some consensus on these types of patches. Do we
> > want to create a new tracer for each thing we want to trace, or add
> > tracepoints?
>
> The only thing I'd consider is one lock-tracer that exposes all
> lockdep/lockstat hooks. Any half-assed partial solution won't fly.
>
> > > Folks, lets please start by getting the tracing infrastructure in and
> > > those few high-level trace-points google proposed.
> > >
> > > Until we get the basics in, I think I'm going to NAK any and all
> > > tracepoint/marker patches.
> > >

> > I think that core locking functions are pretty basic...
>
> For kernel developers, yes. For userspace stuff like latencytop should
> be good enough to notice something is up.
>
> And kernel developers can recompile their kernel - that's the only way
> you're going to do anything about lock contention anyway.

We also have to consider if a less specific instrumentation can extract
this kind of data. Scheduler instrumentation can do a big part of that
job, namely identifying the wakeup cause. We would not have the
information about it being mutex-related unless we activate lockdep
tracing, potentially with tracepoints in the lockdep handlers. I think
this would fly. But let's keep this for later.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers