Re: no way to swapoff a deleted swap file?

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Fri Oct 17 2008 - 08:17:55 EST

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Bodo Eggert wrote:

> Somebody might want their swapfiles to have zero links,
> _and_ the possibility of doing swapoff.

You're right, they might, and it's not an unreasonable wish.
But we've not supported it in the past, and I still don't
think it's worth adding special kernel support for it now.

> If you can do it by keeping some fds open to let
> /proc/pid/fd point to the files, I think it's OK.

I've a very strong aversion to adding strange code to abuse the
/proc/<pid>/fd space of some random kernel thread - a "kswapd"
because its name contains the substring "swap"?

Hugh