ext4: oops on boot with root fs needing recovery

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Thu Oct 16 2008 - 16:12:37 EST

I had a crash and rebooted. The root filesystem needed journal recovery, but ext4 crashed.

My root fs is ext3 (no extents), but I've been mounting it as ext4 to see how it turns out.

The oops is new; booting an older kernel successfully recovered the journal (I've reverted the rootfs back to ext3 for now).

I'm using the Fedora rawhide packages. The crashing kernel is 2.6.27-13.fc10.x86_64. 2.6.27-1.fc10.x86_64 worked OK.

Oops image is attached. Unfortunately the top of the oops got cut off, though I thought I saw some mention of the "extents" option flying past.

JPEG image