Re: Possible ext3 corruption with 1K block size

From: Pascal Terjan
Date: Thu Oct 16 2008 - 09:48:08 EST

Le mercredi 15 octobre 2008 à 09:43 -0500, Eric Sandeen a écrit :
> Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 October 2008, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>

> >> My kingdom for a testcase... does anyone have simple steps to reproduce
> >> this? Or do they all start with "install mandriva on a 1k block size
> >> system?" :)
> >>

> > May be RH will do? :)
>
> I did try a 1k-block root fs Fedora install, and didn't see any problems...
>
> > As indicated by last comment, Pascal has some ways to trigger it; I
> > forgot to Cc to him initially; doing it now.
>
> Ok, good deal.

On my test machine I reproduce it easily : rpm --rebuilddb and if the db
is not detected to be corrupted yet it will be after installing a few
packages (tested again with 2.6.27).

If I do the rebuilddb on a 2.6.17 and then reboot on a recent kernel,
then I can install/uninstall thousands of packages without any
corruption.

I wanted to try a few things including copying the partition to a file
and trying to reproduce in a vm.

Given how I can reproduce and repair it i can even write a bisecting
script which would basically be an initscript which would do

if on test kernel
- rebuild the db
- install 10 rpm
- remove the 10 rpm
- check the db
- do the good/bad
- reboot onto 2.6.17
else if on 2.6.17
- rebuild the db
- build the kernel
- reboot on test kernel

and let it run :)

All I need is to find some time with nothing more urgent...