RE: [rfc] x86, bts: improve X86_PTRACE_BTS help text

From: Metzger, Markus T
Date: Thu Oct 16 2008 - 03:13:17 EST

[...]
> > + def_bool X86_PTRACE_BTS
> > + depends on X86_DEBUGCTLMSR
>
>using def_bool here to get this turned on if X86_PTRACE_BTS is set
>doesn't seem scalable to more uses of X86_DS. I would have
>thought that
>having X86_PTRACE_BTS select X86_DS would make more sense.

We do plan other users. Perfmon2, for example, will be using it.

I fail to see the difference between the two models.
In one case, new users would need to select X86_DS.
In the other case, new users would need to extend the def_bool clause of
X86_DS.

The documentation recommended to use select carefuly, that's why I
picked the other one.

If people think that select is clearer, I will change it.

> > + This adds a ptrace interface to the hardware's branch
>trace store.
> > +
> > + Debuggers may use it to collect an execution trace of
>the debugged
> > + application in order to answer the question 'how did
>I get here?'.
> > + Debuggers may trace user mode as well as kernel mode.
> > +
> > + Say Y unless there is no application development on
>this machine
> > + and you want to save a small amount of code size.
>
>This looks much better -- someone like me could read this and make an
>informed decision about the config option.

Good. I will send a patch if there is no more feedback on the select vs.
def_bool topic today.

regards,
markus.
Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052