Re: [2.6 patch] HID: fix default building of all quirky devices

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Wed Oct 15 2008 - 18:54:35 EST

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > Hmm ... I am not really sure, isn't this a bug in Kconfig?
> Not really, more of a misfeature.
> That said, even if we were to consider it a bug, Adrian's patch is
> obviously the better way to do it. You shouldn't do non-local dependencies
> (have one config option select fifty other ones), when the local ones are
> clearer and more readable (have one config option just describe its *own*
> dependencies).

I agree.

And even though I really think this is at least a misfeature, it's indeed
properly documented in Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.txt, so I am
really the only one to blame here.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Side note: Adrian too has a very odd and non-obvious way of doing this.
>
> His patch did config entries like
>
> config HID_BRIGHT
> tristate "Bright" if EMBEDDED
> default USB_HID
> depends on USB_HID
>
> which is a really odd way to express this. The much more natural one is
>
> config HID_BRIGHT
> tristate "Bright" if EMBEDDED
> depends on USB_HID
> default y
>
> since there's no point in saying "default USB_HID" + "depends on USB_HID",
> and that's just confusing. Since it depends on USB_HID, the "default y"
> will automatically degrade to whatever USB_HID was set to.

Hmm, yes, looks slightly better.

I see you haven't pulled Adrian's fix from my tree yet. So please drop my
latest pull request, I will do it the "depens on + default y" way and send
you a new one shortly. There have been some more VID/PID additions
accumulated in the meantime anyway, so I'll send them too within a new
pull request.

--
Jiri Kosina